The Life of Sandy: Adventures in a Mud Hut

Sunday, September 30, 2007

I've been back from vacation about a month now and it seems like kind of a lot has hapened! I'll try to give you the highlights...

The new stage has arrived! One of the big things every new stage does is demystification, which is when the new Peace Corps trainees go out to second year volunteers' sites for a couple days. It's the first opporutnity trainees have to see what a volunteer's daily life is like, and it's a pretty memorable experience. I had a blast on my demyst, so I decided I wanted to host a new trainee. I wasn't sure if I would get one, since I live so far away, but Peace Corps sent one trainee all the way out to my town! We had a good time, and it made me realize how much I've learned in the past year, so I'm glad I got to host somebody.

The other big thing that's been going on is Ramadan. Ramadan kinda really sucks. It's a month of fasting. It affects everything! Nobody (no muslims) can drink anything or eat anything from the time the sun rises til the sun sets. Nothing! I could handle not eating, but it's crazy not to drink anything, especially when it's so freaking hot! It's so unhealthy and everybody is (understandably) miserable and tired all the time. And it's really great that everyday they complain about having headaches and ask me for meds all the time. Uhhh I can't imagine why! Maybe, just maybe, the reason your head hurts it has to do with the fact that you're not drinking any water and are starving yourself half to death. So ridiculous. What's more ridiculous is that some people actually think it's good for their health! A couple nights ago this guy told me that fasting was really good for you. He's all "during the other months of the year I can't sleep, but during Ramadan I sleep perfectly well!" You idiot, of course you can sleep, you don't have any energy to do anything else cuz you're not eating or drinking at all! Well, there you have my little rant on Ramadan. I could keep going but I'll spare you, and leave you with some Random Africa Moments.


Random Africa Moments:

So I don’t know if these will be particularly funny to you, but they were definitely moments that made me realize I’m not in Kansas anymore. They all happen to involve my host mom, too.

1) It took me a while to realize this, but people here don’t really use our calendar. I don’t know why I thought they would. Anyway, I think I’ve mentioned before that the Senegalese call white people ‘toubabs.’ A few nights ago, my host mom says to me “Hey Aissata, no foti balde lewru toubab?,” which literally translated means, “how many days toubab month?” I thought she was asking how many days were in a month, so I told her 30 or 31. She laughed and told me I didn’t understand, which is true, I didn’t really know what she was getting at. I thought she wanted to know how many days were in a month…turns out she wanted to know the date (Senegalese people get paid at the end of every ‘toubab’ month, so if they have a relative working out of town the relative will send money at the end of the month, which is pretty much the only reason people here care about the date). Either way, she calls our system of dates “toubab months,” which I thought was funny. I mean, when you hear somebody say “today is September 29,” you might think “OK. Cool. A couple more days until October. I wonder if there’s any good football games on this weekend. Halloween is soon!” That’s what my thought process used to be like. Now I’m just going to think “September 29th. Hmm. Ninth month of the toubab. 29th day of the ninth month of toubab. Close to the end of the toubab month. Tenth month of toubab starts soon. Money comes soon. Hooray for the end of toubab month. I can buy even MORE rice. AWESOME. ”

2) During demyst, I was sitting outside with my host family and my demyster (the new Peace Corps trainee who came to visit), whose name is Kasha McGuffis. My host mom comes up and asks my demyster what her last name was, so Kasha replies, “McGuffis.” My mom grunts, “huhh???” so Kasha repeats it again, and this time my mom goes “Huh? Nescafe?!?” Close lady, close. I think the best part was that everybody absolutely burst out laughing, because ‘Nescafe’ is obviously not even close to ‘McGuffis,’ but that’s just what came to my host mom’s mind. She laughed at herself, too, and it still makes me chuckle to think about her saying "Nescafe" in an attempt to say "McGuffis." That's probably how my Pulaar sounds to them...


3) I don’t think I’ve really talked about all the animals too much yet….but there’s a lot of them. Lots of goats and cows. They all go out to the fields in the morning, and come back in the late afternoon. Frequently the goats run around the front of my family’s compound, where they’re not supposed to be. It’s not a huge deal, somebody just has to shoe them away, but sometimes they’re kind of obnoxious. They climb up on everything and try to eat everything. One afternoon I was sitting in my room and I hear my mom making all kinds of noise trying to shoe off the goats. I could tell she was in the middle of doing her prayer beads, because she doesn’t talk when she’s doing them, she only makes grunt-like noises. It’s funny to hear her grunt her way through a conversation, but it’s even funnier when she’s mad and can only express herself through grunts.

So on this particular afternoon I could hear my host mom’s angry grunts and I hear the scurrying sound of multiple goat hooves. I got up and looked out the door just in time to see my mom pick up a goat that was on a stick bed (low table-like thing used to sleep/sit on) and just totally chuck it on the ground! There was a huge thud, and a reactionary ‘baaaa.’ Hilarious! It was one of those jaw-to-the-floor followed by a surge of insuppressible laughter moments. It kinda looked like a scene from a movie when some chick is mad at her boyfriend and she picks up a pile of his clothes and then chucks them on the floor in anger…only this was a fairly sizeable animal picked up by a praying, grunting, old Senegalese woman. And to complete the moment, the goat landed on its back and couldn’t get up, so my mom gives it a couple of good kicks to help it up. So funny. I wonder what the goat was thinking. He was probably just praying to make it to the end of the toubab month when my mom will be in a better mood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home